Thursday, March 19, 2009

Cardboard Carving


I'm extremely excited to tell you all about an idea I had in high school printmaking class. I started out with 3 pieces of cardboard. About 8 inches by 6 inches and I drew a Rose and it's stem and leaves onto each board and then carved around the rose with an Exacto knife. I peeled away the top layer of paper around the image and revealed a really cool technique I call Cardboard Carving . My Printmaking teacher loved this idea. I got a %100 on the Assignment and these 3 pieces were entered into a High school Art Fair Display. I could tell they were a hit because 2 of the 3 were stolen right off of their shelves.
When Jenny Doh announced the idea of Greencraft magazine, this is the very first project that came to mind. Here I'm showing a Large Diaper Box that is a frequent around here. I show here how you can make these boxes into really cool holiday or everyday storage boxes, shipping boxes, possibly even memory boxes.
The techniqueh has an infinate amount of uses because of cardboard packaging being so redily available. If you ever need to find any boxes though. I know all of my local major chain Department stores will send some boxes home with you. They will even give you what size and quantity you need.
On this particular box I drew designs I'm fond of and thought Sandra Evertson would also like since this is what her package is being sent in. But if you are not confident in drawing directly onto the box. you can stamp onto the box or even glue an image directly onto the box and have a whole different feel with the same technique. I will be going in depth with this technique in many other posts in the next couple of weeks including a tutorial . For now though I'm working on a very detailed box to send into Greencraft Editors. Hope you all love it!If you do happen to play with this technique. Send me your photos or E-mail me with your links! Thanks!

5 comments:

roseroomnz.com said...

Angela Harris, you are AMAZING! Rachaelxo

Ragamuffin Gal said...

Angela,
I DO so love it! It also reminds me of printmaking in high school Art class too! I will look forward to learning more about your amazing techniques! Lovingly, K

Jeanne Oliver said...

You know you are a hit when your work is being stolen:-)

maryboys said...

hello, angela...this looks wonderful, as always! i also wanted to tell you that i finally broke down and used some of the lovely crepe trim from your etsy...and i love, love, love it! absolutely gorgeous:) thanks for all your inspiration...

Anonymous said...

Angela, WOW it has beeen awhile since I stopped by,it has been crazy at Ruby's...more later. A LOT has happened in your life-good, wonderful, befitting things!! all well deserved, Angela!!!! I have to go to your Etsy shop, that is my next stop!!!! Love all the new things you are doing...and especially the pics of your little ones!!! How fun! M