Thursday, November 25, 2010

Hello & Goodbye Sweetie Pie


This little darling here is Sweetie Pie :) and here is the story of how we had to say hello and goodbye....
Thanksgiving day my husband & I dropped off our kids at Grandma and Papa's house and had a fantastic date day. Watched a movie and had lunch then came home in the late afternoon. As we pulled into our driveway we noticed a cute little white puppy across the street.
My husband & I were outside bringing in Bins of Christmas Decorations, Preparing to put up our Christmas tree, which we always do the day after thanksgiving.
As we was carrying bins in, this little puppy comes running across the street and onto our porch and right to me. I picked her up because she looked freezing. I wrapped her in my coat and carried her back over to the house she was standing in front of when we first saw her.


I knocked on their door for about 3 minutes and got no answer even though 2 cars were in the driveway. So I took her back over to what we were doing because no one was coming outside to get her. About 10 minutes later when my husband & I had completed bringing everything inside I wrapped her up in one of the girls blankets and took her back to the house and knocked again. This time I knocked harder and waited for 5 minutes. Still no answer.
So I walked to a couple other neighbors that I knew were friendly and asked them if this was their puppy or had they ever seen it and no one had.
After another 15 minutes of talking with random neighbors I took the puppy back to the house where I found it and knocked again. Still no answer.


So I brought her into our house thinking, a puppy this small can not be forgotten about for this long and she obviously doesn't live around here because no one has come out to get her and no one is looking for her. So I just tried to keep her warm and wondered what to do with her.
Next I tried calling my local animal shelter to see if someone could pick her up. but it was Thanksgiving so no one was working.

It was getting to be time to go pick the kids up so I took the puppy in the car with me to go pick them up. We stopped on the way home to get some flea shampoo because she had a small case of fleas. While at Walgreens the employees oohed and awwed at how precious she was and one employee said they had a lost dog flyer at the front of their store that might be this dog. While the photo of the lost dog really didn't look like her, I called anyway to see and it wasn't the correct owner. The lady who had posted the lostdog flyers for her dog had been reunited with her loved puppy and suggested I make a listing on Craigslist that I found her.


So we brought her home and gave her a nice warm flea bath and I made the craigslist listings.
While I did this the puppy snuggled up with the kids, the kids really enjoyed bringing her stuffed animals and chasing her around the house.

The next morning the kids were so excited to have another day with her and knew we were looking for her family so we posted found dog posters in our neighborhood.
By Noon there was still no response to the flyers or craigslist postings so I gave her another bath and braved the cold and the black friday shoppers to take her up to Petsmart to get scanned for a microchip. I asked the lady there what kids of dog she thought this was and about how old she was. She said that it was obviously a cared for animal because the puppy had her toenails painted and had a decent coat of hair. But no microchip. So while we were at petsmart we got her a tag, I wasn't about to lost a lost dog that I had said I found! :)
We also got her toys, a little bag of food, and a little coat.

Next we took her to Grandma and Papa's house to get a leash from there so we could take her on a walk and so she could meet their dog, our final stop was Kennelwood, a grooming and board facility where my sister in law worked. I wanted to see what breed she thought the dog was. She said maybe a maltese/ spaniel mix but didn't know for sure. My sister and law then clipped her nails and trimmed her paw pad hair.
Finally we got back home and got the kids all bundled up to take a walk.

I enjoyed the kids working together to all take her for a work and took many photos. Only minutes after this photo was taken truck pulled up on the road and asked if I just found this puppy? I said yes, and he called his 18 yr old daughter who had been worried about her all night.
It turns out that her owner's dad lived at the house that I was knocking at all night but no one ever answered. I still don't know why, & it bothers me a little. I was SO disappointed, The girls and i had both had grown to like her alot. This experience brought alot of joy into our daily life for the 2 days she was here. & I believe that God just wanted to send me a message about what breed and size of dog was right for our family.

4 comments:

my cup of tea said...

That was so nice of you to take care of her like that! She is a cutie! I hope her owner starts to take better care of her now, she could have froze to death. Check the pound when you are ready for a pup of your own, they have some cute ones!
~Blessings~
Donna

Her Art Nest said...

What a heartfelt story at this time of year. Yes, it would bother me too why your neighbor (the owner's dad) would not answer your knocks. Perhaps he was hard of hearing? That was so generous of you to take care for this sweet little "girl." Big hugs to you, Nancy

Quiltpiecer said...

What a sweet story. It was so good of you to take care of this sweet puppy the way you did. I'm sure the owner loves her puppy and hopefully will take better care of it. Seems that your family is ready for a new addition!

Ella said...

What a lovely sign and I am so glad you followed up on it! Your children will have a wonderful time with the new puppy! I love the photo of your son~